It’s almost close to 3 years that I chose a life of an entrepreneur. This journey has come with its many learnings.
Being an entrepreneur is rewarding. There is flexibility, so you can schedule your work hours around other commitments, including spending quality time with your family. There is autonomy, creativity and there is freedom.
However, I also realised that being an entrepreneur could be one the most stressful jobs. There is uncertainty, as it involves long working hours. There is always the full accountability as you alone are responsible for all the good and the bad decisions, and there is no fixed salary.
In addition, an entrepreneur’s life can be lonely as small entrepreneurs mostly start alone and have no colleagues or managers to run to when they face bottleneck or blocks. They need to develop expertise across all areas of management: from finance to marketing, from design procurement to operations. The “To do list” could be endless and exhausting. Therefore, an Entrepreneur’s wellbeing matters.
An entrepreneur’s happiness matters, not just for themselves, but also for their business and their family. The success and continuity of the business depends on the good physical and mental wellbeing of the one in-charge. This is only possible when you lead a meaningful and balanced life.
I am not an expert but below is a list that I have made for myself. It reminds me to lead a balanced and beautiful life, and I would like to share it with all my fellow entrepreneurs (who might be facing the same challenges).
1. Health is Wealth: I used to put exercise at the bottom of my list and ended up feeling very anxious. But I realised that exercise really helps me to manage my stress and it releases endorphins that make me optimistic and energetic. It calms me down and helps me to take better decisions. Also, do not postpone regular doctor check-ups and tests. Always remind yourself that Health is Wealth.
2. Eat Well: Do not forget to cook delicious healthy food for yourself. Happy stomach results in happier minds. Though I really love meat, I consciously try to eat more vegetables and fruits now. Do eat vitamin supplements if required.
3. Attitude in Work: Though it is very important to have a clear vision for your business and you need to look ahead, but at the same time, do look back to see how far you have come from where you had started. Do write your accomplishments and feel good about it. Do celebrate important milestones.
Also, evaluate at regular intervals if your work is adding cheer and meaning to yours and others lives. Align and adapt if require
4. Discipline in Work and Timings: Plan your day well. Do diligently make realistic “To Do list”. Ticking away all chores at the end of the day gives a sense of fulfilment.
Decide on the working hours/ schedule and stick to it. Try to follow a routine and stop working after those work-hours. Sometimes, when you work from home, this discipline is even more important. Pushing yourself nonstop will lead to exhaustion and burnout.
It is ok to say ‘No’ to new work.
Separate work and sleep. Do not work closer to your sleep time.
5. Take out Time for Friends and Family: Sometimes we get so caught up making a business successful that we lose beautiful relationships. Be there for people who matter. Meeting friends and family is also a good way to handle stress, it makes you realise life is so beautiful and simple.
6. Socialize with Fellow Entrepreneurs: Surround yourself with other entrepreneurs who you can relate to, and who can be a support to you. It is helpful to know that others have been through the same problems, and so you know you’re not alone. They can give you tips and information.
7. Invest your Time and Energy in your Home: Home is very important, where one must feel happy and relaxed after a hard day’s work. So do prioritise to get your home organised, clean and beautiful. Use plants and add colours to bring cheer to your lives.
8. Gratitude and Charity: Gratitude journal really helps. Do note down all the things and people you are grateful for. Also, giving back to the society is important. Bring cheer and add value to everyone around you.
Do leave me a comment if this resonates with you. Thanks!